Sunday 13 November 2011

AKA....What A Life!

Working the other day, I was tidying my desk, clearing out some old things. Then I came past an old work diary. As I quickly checked it I saw my year planner and it hit home to me just how much my life has changed in the last year.

Just last year these were the things I was planning/spending my hard earned money on:
  • Holiday to Dallas (by myself)
  • Leeds Festival Tickets
  • Glastonbury Tickets
  • Hotels for weekends away for lads weekends
  • Liverpool Tickets for most home games.
  • Beer
  • CD's / DVD's
  • The latest PS3 Games

Fast forward a year and this is what my money largely goes on now:
  • Rent
  • Bills (Gas,Electricity/Water)
  • Council Tax (A major gripe of mine)
  • Food
  • Petrol

It's when I see this vast difference it hits home to me. Now I'm not complaining, in fact I am overjoyed at the prospect of soon becoming a Dad (and by soon I mean it's T - 6 days and counting until Bumps due date) But it was interesting to see this huge difference, it's not like I still don't enjoy myself, and don't spend money on myself or treat myself, it just seems that within the short space of a year I've matured dramatically and actually became something I've been putting off for years, a responsible adult, well most of the time, as I sit typing this I am watching Thundercats on T.V , not because my girlfriends 3 year daughter (who I recently managed to convert into the world of Thundercats) is sat in the living room, as she is staying at her Nanny's this week, but because I want to watch it.



I guess what I'm trying to say is this, although on paper this time last year my plans for life and what I spent my money on and did were interesting and seemed great, I wouldn't trade it for what I have now. I'd love to one day when the kids are older and grown up to re pack my travelling bag and go travelling with my girlfriend and explore the places I haven't yet seen.

I enjoyed what seems like a previous life travelling, going places by myself and generally wasting my money and being selfish on myself, but now I have 3 other people to think of before me, 3 people who I dearly love and when I've had a hard day at work seem to make it all worth while, plus I'm looking forward more to the adventure that ensues ahead of successfully raising a healthy family.

So it's T-Minus 6 days until baby is due, my next post will focus more on the looming worries of Fatherhood! Tick Tock goes the fatherhood clock......

No comments:

Post a Comment