Sunday 30 September 2012

A Musical Journey - September

Ahhh so September has come and gone, the summer is properly over and the nights start getting darker, the mornings are colder, and the mood of music grows darker as we say goodbye to summer anthems and hello to winter warmers. This months 3 bands that's I've been listening to are a mix of hearty warm ballads and powerful story telling rock songs.

1: The Killers - they released their new album this month, Battle born. Named after their own studio in their home town of Las Vegas where they recorded the album. A band that has often been confused with sounding British but are actually American. There 4th album is great and to me sounds a lot like their second album tone, Sams Town. Very Springsteenesq with the story telling aspect if the songs, intertwining with the melodies and guitar rifts. Their new album has lots of great songs from the opening track, Flesh and Bones to the last track Prizefighter (which is on the deluxe version which is worth buying for Prizefighter alone) the band have came a long way since their first album, Hot Fuss, and this album only goes on to cement their status as one of the biggest and best bands around. A lot quieter in places when compared to their last album but the quality as opposed to the volume is there for all to hear. Runaways had may be over played by myself of recent, as I've been using it in my classes...


2: Mumford and Sons - another band who have released a new album this month, Babel is again taken in the same vain as Mumfords first album, sigh no more. When I hear Mumford and sons songs I instantly think of winter, curling up by a fire place with a roaring fire on display, a pint if warm cider, and a wooly jumper on. Maybe I'm getting old with those kind if thoughts, but for some reason that is what I think no matter what Mumford and sons song I hear. I saw them at Leeds Festival in 2010, they were a great act to watch, and one I'd gladly see again. I've only managed to listen to the album twice fully yet, partly because I've been so addicted to the Killers new album, but I'm sure once I get time I'll love it as much as there first. However the song I have shared is one from their first, and probably my favourite song if there's.....


3: Sick Puppies - ok, so I have infact only been listening to one of the Sick Puppies songs, ok, in fact I only know 1 Sick Puppies song, maybe. I first heard this song in 2011, when Liverpool played Wolves, it was the song Sky sports used to close out the programme. I liked it and downloaded it. This past month I've heard it quite a few times, as I've been using it in my classes on my playlist. There's not much to say about it, it spurs me in when I workout and that's what I try to do when I make my playlists for my teaching, choose songs I feel will spur people in, enjoy and ignore their workout and push harder. However most the time, they end up being rock songs, as that's what I prefer, so enjoy, I might try find more of their songs....

1 comment: